Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Frustrated!!!

WARNING: This is long.  I apologize.  I need to rant.

Ok, so, since getting married in September, I have successfully changed my name on my social security card, my bank accounts, my debit and credit cards, my paychecks, my student loans, and at Penn State, ALL without having to go anywhere.  The only time I had to go anywhere to make the change was my driver's license, and that's understandable (I had to get a new mug shot, ya know). 

So why is it that Chase seems to think I need to come into a local office to get my name updated on my mortgage?  That wasn't what they said in November.  Wasn't what they said in December.  But now they seem to think I have to go to the nearest branch (which, of course, I've never been to because they're NOT MY BANK - MY bank was able to handle it all online).

Sure, they were HAPPY to give me a new credit card with my married name without any documentation.  But changing my last name on the mortgage (to MATCH the last name of my husband, who is also on the mortgage, I might add) is apparently too hard for people to handle.

Mostly for documentation purposes, I'd like to post here the emails I've had back and forth with Chase (with some details removed) via THEIR secure message center. 

11/12/10 I sent:
Good afternoon,

I was just married in September of this year and have since changed my last name to my spouse's.

How do I update my name on my accounts and get a new credit card with my married name Erika (Married Name)?


Thank you,
Erika (Maiden Name) (Married Name)

I got a response that same day:
Dear Erika (Married Name),

Congratulations on your recent marriage. Wishing you a
successful life ahead.

I am pleased to inform that I have changed the name on
your account ending in **** as requested. A replacement
card with your new name reflected on it should arrive at
the address listed on your account by 11/19/2010.

Additionally, I have forwarded your inquiry regarding
mortgage account to our Home Mortgage department. You
should receive a response from them within two business
days.

If you need immediate assistance... [boring content removed]

It was a pleasure assisting you today. Have a great day!

If you have any further questions, please reply using the
Secure Message Center.

Thank you,

V*** M***
E-mail Customer Service Representative
 

Well that was easy!  And helpful!  Huzzah!!  Just have to wait to hear about the mortgage...
On 11/15/10, I got this response:

Dear Erika:

I am writing in response to your Internet inquiry to Chase
about your home mortgage loan.

I have attached a name change request form. Please fill
it out and send it back to Chase together with the
required documents.

Chase's goal is to provide the highest level of quality
service. If you have questions about your mortgage,
please contact Customer Care at 1-800-848-9136.

We appreciate your business and value our relationship
with you.

Thank you,

L*** T***
Vice President
Customer Care



Fair enough.  On 12/6/10, I sent the requested documentation along with this message:

Good evening! Per the message I received on 11/15/10, I am submitting the requested documentation to update my name on this account from Erika (Maiden Name) to Erika (Married Name).

Please let me know if anything further is needed to make the requested change.

Thank you!
Erika (Married Name)

I got no response.  Waited a month.  Still nothing, so on 1/4/11, I sent this:

Good afternoon!

On 12/6/10, I had submitted documentation as requested via the Secure Message Centre to have my name changed from Erika (Maiden Name) to my married name of Erika (Married Name). To date, it seems this change has not gone through, so I was wondering if there was anything else I needed to do to help implement this change.

Thank you for your assistance!
Erika (Married Name)

I got a response on 1/5/11:

Dear Erika:

I am writing in response to your Internet inquiry to Chase
about your home mortgage loan.

We did not receive the e-mail you previously sent.

I have attached a copy of the name change request form.
Please fill it out and send it back to Chase together with
the required documents.

Chase's goal is to provide the highest level of quality
service. If you have questions about your mortgage,
please contact Customer Care at 1-800-848-9136.

We appreciate your business and value our relationship
with you.

Thank you,

L*** T***
Vice President
Customer Care

Ok...  Annoying much?  Whatever.  I attached the SAME documents and sent a reply:

Ok, I will send the same attachments I sent a month ago. Please let me know that they have been received, as the last attempt shows up in my Sent Messages so I have no way of confirming receipt.

Thanks,
Erika

No response.  Didn't want to wait a month, so I gave it a few weeks instead.  On 1/19/11, I re-sent the SAME documentation with this message:

Good morning,

I have submitted the attached documentation twice to have my name changed on my Chase account I was just married in September and it has not been completed yet.

Could someone please confirm that this is being worked on and/or when I can expect completion?

Thank you,
Erika (Married Name) formerly Erika (Maiden Name)

On 1/20/11, I got this response:
Dear Erika (Maiden Name),

Thank you for contacting Chase.

To process this request, you will need to visit your local
branch with one form of ID and supporting documents to
complete changes that are not minor name corrections.

We recommend that you contact the branch before visiting
to verify additional requirements. You can locate the
nearest branch and its number using your zip code via
Chase.com.

We value you as a Chase customer and appreciate your
business. We apologize for any inconvenience this may
cause you.

If you require further assistance... [More boring stuff removed]

Thank you,

M*** G***
Internet Service Center

Oh HELL no.  I was told I could do this shit online.  Twice.  I'm done with formalities at this point, so on 1/24/11 I sent this:

Why was this not explained to me when I first made the inquiry in November?

I have submitted documentation to get this change processed, per the instruction of 2 other Chase employees (via the Secure Message Center) after 2 separate inquiries. I was told this could be handled online (in fact, I was told it was already changed for the credit card account, just not the mortgage account)...

I was able to make these changes will my primary bank and many other services via fax or internet request and would MUCH prefer to do so in this case as well. If there is any way to do this online, as I was previously told, please let me know.

Respectfully,
Erika (Married Name)

Now, note that I was actually told twice by the same employee (didn't notice that until after I sent it), but the person who told me I could do this online is the VICE PRESIDENT of customer service.  I would have to imagine he knows what's what.

But the response I got today (1/25/11) says differently:
Dear Erika (Maiden Name),

Thank you for contacting the Internet Service Center.
Congratulations on your marriage!

In response to your inquiry, for assistance in changing
your name on your account, please visit a Chase branch
convenient to you. You will need to bring with you legal
proof of name change and two forms of valid
identification; one being a photo ID

I apologize for any inconvenience this may cause.

Chase strives to provide excellent service to all of our
customers. It has been our pleasure to be of service to
you. Please be assured that we value you as a customer and
wish for your experience with Chase to be one of
satisfaction and ease.

If you have any questions or require further assistance,
please e-mail us via the Secure Message Center or contact
our Internet Service Center at 1-877-242-7372.

Thank you,

L*** M***
Internet Service Center

At this point, I'm beyond frustrated.  It doesn't seem like a big deal, but let me point out a few things:
1) I've never had to go to the local Chase branch for ANYTHING.  They just happen to have bought our mortgage about a year ago...  
2) I was told TWICE that all I had to do what submit the necessary documentation, which (as you can see), I actually sent THREE times.  
3) I've been trying to get this changed since November!  What the fuck have they been doing?!
4) How did they not get my email if I'm sending it using THEIR message feature?  Sounds like THEIR problem; not mine.
5) Why was it so easy for me to get a new credit card from them?  Why didn't they need anything for that?  But in order to keep taking my money on my mortgage, they not only expect documentation, but think I should come to THEM to provide it?!
6) Best yet, they didn't address ANY of my dissatisfaction or provide any feedback as to why I was told something different in the past.  The last response is almost identical to the response they sent before that.  UGH!!!
7)They keep addressing me by my maiden name when I clearly keep signing things with my married name.  That's just annoying.

Ok, I apologize again for this rant, but I've just HAD it with Chase.  We're now considering refinancing so we can move away from them and their terrible service.  Good riddance, I say. 

No comments:

Post a Comment