This was a post I originally made on Facebook (slightly amended), but I figured it should be shared again. Also, sorry about the formatting. Copy/Paste can be a real bitch.
Yes, I am playing Pokemon Go. And yes, I know it's kind of [insert word of choice here - dumb, silly, etc.]. I resisted at first, but I'm enjoying it now that I have given it a chance.
I'm not as intense about it as I could be. Catching Pokemon is not my life goal, nor am I about to spend tons of money on an app that is otherwise free.
What has happened since I started Pokemon Go? A few pretty awesome things.
- I've been getting out to walk a LOT more than I was before. My average steps per day in August is more than twice what it was in June.
- I've been seeing parts of Milwaukee I hadn't really seen before. Hubby and I have driven past these places over and over, but never stopped. I've gotten to see lots of nature (waterfalls, flowers, beaches, just to name a few), as well as beautiful architecture.
- I've been more social than I have been in quite some time. We've been spending time with friends at least 2-3 times per week. And even when it's just Hubby and me, we enjoy the chance to be together outside of home and errands. It's been nice.
A few not-so-awesome things have also happened.
- Hubby and I were walking around the Third Ward when some girl at a restaurant (outdoor seating, on the sidewalk) yelled, "NERDS!" as we walked by. Actually, I wasn't even playing Pokemon Go at that point. I was playing Ingress (different game, same company). But it still counts.
- Another night, when we were at a popular park for Pokemon Goers, some girl in a car yelled something along the lines of, "Look at all of you! Get off your f*cking phones! You're all pathetic!"
- I have definitely heard a few other things, but I can't remember them right now. Suffice it to say, they weren't kind, encouraging words.
So why post all of this? Well, it's sort of a PSA. Clearly, not everyone is cool with Pokemon Go. I know I have friends who are not fans of the game (vast understatement in some cases). And that's fine! You don't have to like it. You can think it's stupid or lame or whatever. You are entitled to your own opinion about it, good or bad. Don't let anyone tell you otherwise! But if you could please think twice before shaming or chastising anyone who is playing, that would be really nice.
You may think we should all be doing something "better" with our time or lives, and hey, maybe we should be. I play and I still think to myself sometimes, "Am I really doing this? Isn't there something better I could be doing?" But then I realize I'm having a good time, getting some exercise and interaction, and I'm not hurting anyone, so I figure it's all good.
Live and let live, right?