Monday, November 12, 2012

Here we go!

Nov. 10 - On Saturday, I was thankful for...

Caffeine.

When I have a day full of homework ahead of me, it's nice to have the power of caffeine to back me up. I don't do coffee. I know, I know. But I don't like it. I would love to like it! Just hasn't happened yet. Mt Dew (also known to me as the sweet, sweet elixir of life and the nectar of the gods) is my caffeine of choice, and whether it's the actual effect of the caffeine or a placebo effect, it helps keep me going. I'm definitely thankful for that.

And, of course, I am thankful for its other use in my life: relieving headaches. I get a lot of headaches (it runs in the family), and sometimes there's no relief to be found. But, for some headaches, a healthy dose of caffeine can be just the thing to save me from ramming my head into the nearest wall or trying to bash my own skull in with a hammer in hopes of easing the pain.

Nov. 11 - On Sunday, I was thankful for...

Veterans. 

It's the obvious choice for Veterans Day, I know, but it's also an important thing to be grateful for. I'm not one to frequently swell with pride in my country, but I try to remember that freedom is not actually free. It comes at a cost; sometimes a high one. 

I'm thankful for the men and women who have fought for my freedom, who have paid the price for that freedom without even knowing me. I'm thankful for the families that support them and the strength they have to share their loved ones with us all. Truly, I am.

Nov. 12 - Today I am thankful for...

DVR.

Hubby and I love to settle in and watch TV together, but it's not always easy to catch shows as they air. And by not always easy, I mean damn near impossible. We're busy people who like to get out and enjoy life, so the option to sit at home to wait for the newest episode of [insert popular TV show here] is not usually the one we take. 

In fact, we've been so busy lately that we were WAY backlogged on our recorded shows! And when we had some issues with our cable and found out we might lose everything on our DVR, I about flipped my shit. Thankfully that didn't happen, so last night we burned through several hours worth of shows from the last few weeks. 

I'm sure people think it's a silly thing to be thankful for, but I really love having that time to spend with my husband and my dog. It's relaxing and entertaining, and it always feels amazing to veg out on the couch with my family after a long day of work or homework. And that, to me, is worth being thankful for.

No comments:

Post a Comment