Friday, April 13, 2012

Unlucky 13? Nah.

I have never really gotten into the superstition of Friday the 13th.  Oh, sure, I tried to act like it was some magical day where black cats and bad luck rule all, but I never actually cared.  

Today, in fact, is my mom's birthday!  She was born on a Friday the 13th, so it's hard for me to think it's a bad day.  Strangely enough, my dad was also born on a Friday, so it happens than whatever day of the week Mom's birthday falls on, Dad's will, too (though, not until September).

Similarly, I grew up with a friend who was born on Mother's Day.  In case I haven't mentioned it here, I was born on Father's Day.  This year, since my birthday falls on Father's Day, I know that my friend's birthday will fall on Mother's Day.  Just one of those fun bits of trivia that no one cares about (except me, of course).  

Anywhoozles, I'm sure some of you are superstitious about this day, even if I'm not.  I'm not saying I'm never superstitious.  I am.  It's just certain things I'm superstitious about and I've gotten less superstitious as time has gone by; or maybe my medication works better and I'm just less obsessive...  I don't really see anything wrong about having superstitions as long as they don't interfere with your day to day life.  

There is a fine line between being superstitious and having OCD.  Superstitious is not wanting to step on cracks in the sidewalk and cringing when you do.  You later attribute some bit of "bad luck" to having stepped on said crack, but life goes on.  OCD is feeling like stepping on a crack might mean the end of the world as you know it, and if you should happen to step on one, you may feel the need to start from the beginning or even to go home and crawl back into bed because today clearly is just not happening.

Growing up, I thought some of my quirks were just superstitions.  And some of them probably were.  But some of them were definitely bordering on obsession, and even though they didn't necessarily interfere with daily activities, they sometimes came close.  Or, at minimum, they made me think I was pretty effing weird.

Whenever we drove somewhere, I would stare out the window from the back seat.  Any time there was a driveway or a cross street, I had to keep my teeth apart.  So, picture me riding along in a residential neighborhood.  It probably looked like I was chewing gum, since I was opening my jaw (but not my mouth) for each "interruption" in the road we were on.  Not life-changing, but odd.

For the longest time, I wouldn't set my alarm clock for anything that ended in a 0 or 5.  I woke up at strange times like 7:12 or 6:48.  I did the same thing on the microwave.  If something called for 30 seconds, I put the timer on for 29 or 31 seconds.  

There were others, but those are the two that stick out most in my mind.  I used to do the typical little kid superstitious things (holding my breath past a cemetery, for example), but beyond that, none of my superstitions were as... common.  A touch of OCD will do that, though.

I hope you all have a lovely Friday the 13th today!  I'm done working in about an hour and will be spending most of my day doing homework, but here's hoping y'all have better plans than I do!  And remember, superstition ain't the way.  ;-) 

EDIT: So, it turns out my mom wasn't actually born on Friday the 13th, she just happens to have a lot of birthdays on Fridays.  Oh well.  Still not an unlucky number for me!

  

No comments:

Post a Comment