Monday, July 11, 2011

Oh, Summerfest

Well, we made it to another Summerfest and lived to tell the tale.  Honestly, it wasn't very eventful either night we went, but it's part of the summer experience in Milwaukee.  

Hubby, K and I went last Friday night to check out Michelle Branch, who is adorable as ever.  I had only ever seen her perform as part of The Wreckers, and K hadn't seen her since before The Wreckers, so we didn't know a lot of the songs.  But, every time an older song got played, we sang along and had some fun trying to make Hubby dance.  The rest of the time we made observations about those around us and asked rhetorical questions like, "Why the hell would you wear stiletto cowboy boots to Summerfest?"  (Not even kidding.  Jason Aldean was headlining that night, and all the cowboy hats and boots were a bit overwhelming, if not completely ridiculous and unnecessary, particularly because no real cowgirl is going to wear spiked heels and miniskirts.)

We spent most of our time there just wandering the grounds, but we also caught a small part of the Goo Goo Dolls set and we ended up running into one of Zach's coworkers for a bit.  Unlike last year, we didn't see any drug deals go down this time around, but we did still get our Leinies-battered cheese curds (YUM!!) and saw some entertaining drunks (including a girl who got on the kid's stage - it was late, so nothing was going on there - and tap danced for a few minutes).  

The real clusterfuck was trying to get out.  Evidentally, we decided to leave just as the amphitheater was getting out.  This wouldn't have been so terrible except that we were heading the opposite direction (we had used Hubby's parking pass and were in the far lot).  It was a lot like fish swimming upstream, but with more beer and elbows.  

On Saturday, Hubby and I were going to see Pat McCurdy and Buckcherry, but we skipped out on both.  Instead, we met up with my friend L and her boyfriend B and just hung out for awhile.  We got some ice cream and listened to some random bands.  The worst part was no matter where we went, the scent of pot just kept following us.  I'm not trying to be all, "OMG, I can't believe there were drugs there!!"  Of COURSE there are drugs there, but usually you can move elsewhere and escape it.  Nope.  Not Saturday.  It wouldn't be so bad if it didn't make me nauseous, but trying to eat/enjoy ice cream while your stomach is turning really doesn't work well.  And no, I don't know why it makes me feel that way.  It didn't used to bother me when I was younger, but I think a few bad experiences may have ruined it for me.

The one thing I'm really sad about is that I never got a funnel cake.  It's a tragedy, I know!  Fortunately, the state fair is in about a month and I'll be able to get my yearly creampuff.  Man, those things are amazing.  Nom, nom, nom.  I'm not too bummed about missing out on Buckcherry, since I've seen them before.  And since I've never seen Pat McCurdy, it didn't really bother me to miss out (since Hubby says it helps to be a drunk college kid to really enjoy his shows).  Maybe next year...    

 

2 comments:

  1. You missed the Get Up Kids. Shame on you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sadly, yes. This is true. I missed a few bands I wanted to catch. C'est la vie. :(

    ReplyDelete