Thursday, November 11, 2010

I Never Said I Do

So, today is the anniversary of my bestie Mandy and her hubby Chad.  Four years ago today, my husband and I were at their wedding.  It seems like so long ago, but at the same time, I can clearly remember the night, so I feel like it couldn't possibly have been 4 years ago!  

A lot has changed in those 4 years, too.  At the time, Zach was living with his dad in Whitewater.  In fact, since then, Zach has lived in an apartment in Racine with a friend, an apartment in Oak Creek with me, and now we have our wonderful home in the Milwaukee area.  (Having never moved before, this is also big for me!!)

And while I knew I loved Zach, and hoped to be with him for a long time, I had no idea that 4 years later we would be married ourselves!  

Anywhoozles, Mandy mentioned something that made me think.  She made a comment about how two little words - I Do - can pretty much change your life forever.  And I realized that I never said I Do.  It just wasn't part of our vows!  

Did I miss out on some magical bond because we didn't exchange those two words?  

Vows are just words unless they truly have meaning to you.  For Mandy and Chad, those two words said everything they needed to say, because there were so many unspoken words behind them.  Since our ceremony was different than many, the I Do's just didn't fit in, but the words that were spoken, the vows we made to each other, are just as strong as any I Do.

We had found vows online that we really liked, and just altered them a bit to meet our needs and expectations of our marriage.  In case you're curious, these are the vows we used:

I, Erika, take you, Zach, to be my husband.  Along with my heart, I give to you these promises...
I promise to give you the best of myself, even when I feel my worst.
I promise to respect you, and also myself.
I promise to realize that your desires and needs are no less important than my own.
I promise to laugh with you in times of joy, and comfort you in times of sorrow.
I promise to listen to you with understanding, and speak to you with encouragement.
I promise to help you when you need it, and try to step aside when you don't.
Above all, I promise to be faithful to you as my husband, my lover and my friend,
And to love you for the rest of my life.

So, it might've been more than two words, but it still changed my life.  For the better.

Much love to Mandy and Chadder on their special day, and much love to my hubby for being everything I want and need.  I love you, Roozles!

No comments:

Post a Comment